you're reading...
Uncategorized

INSURANCE AND PROTECTING YOUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

In some of my previous blogs and articles I have urged business owners with intellectual property (“IP”) rights to take precautions to avoid being engulfed in costly infringement disputes.  The first line of defense to such threats is to use best practices with the handling of your IP, i.e., to know its provenance.  However, as with all risk management, another path is to acquire adequate insurance coverage.

For those of you who carry commercial general liability insurance, check to see whether and to what extent your coverage extends to IP infringement.  Your carrier may have specifically exempted most intellectual property claims from your coverage, to your surprise.  The facts of the following case illustrate the dilemma in which you could find yourself.

In Santa’s Best Craft, LLC v. St. Paul Fire and Marine Insurance Co., the Seventh Circuit examined whether the insurer (“St. Paul”) had an obligation to defend Santa’s Best Craft (“SBC”) and others in an IP infringement matter.  http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-7th-circuit/1529895.html?DCMP=NWL-pro_ip

SBC was sued by JLJ, Inc., (“JLJ”) over how it marketed certain holiday lights.  JLJ alleged that SBC copied its “Stay Lit” lights packaging design and used false and deceptive language, thereby co-opting the look and slogans of JLJ’s Stay Lit Lights.

SBC settled with JLJ for $3.5 million.  In the SBC-St. Paul’s litigation, although St. Paul, which originally questioned its duty to defend SBC, was found to have the obligation.  However, the facts in the case were such that it is easy to imagine the Court ruling in St. Paul’s favor.

St. Paul’s policy contained an IP exclusion disallowing coverage for “injury or damage . . . that results from any actual or alleged infringement or violation of any of the following rights or laws: “. . . trade dress . . .trademark, other intellectual property rights or laws.”  The St. Paul policy did provide coverage for “[u]nauthorized use of . . . any slogan . . . of others in your advertising.”

Despite the fact that the JLJ complaint did not clearly allege an infringement of its slogan, luckily for SBC, the Court found enough facts in JLJ’s allegations to fall within the St Paul policy coverage.

But can a business owner take much comfort from the outcome in this case?  Even if commercial liability insurance contains such an advertising exception to the general IP exclusion, is that enough to insulate you from potentially large damage claims by third parties?

The IP rights and laws typically covered in a commercial general liability policy include copyrights, patents, and trademarks.  It is therefore critical to determine to what extent your business activities rely on any IP.  Then, have a heart to hear discussion with your insurance agent that specifically focuses on your IP issues and to determine whether special insurance coverage is available and whether you should include such in your liability policy.

A little effort now is better than to discover the limits of your coverage later — to your regret.

About Law Office of Barbara I. Berschler

In addition to advising my clients about general business matters associated with business formation and operation, I counsel for-profit and not-for-profit organizations about the protection and use of intellectual property.

Discussion

13 thoughts on “INSURANCE AND PROTECTING YOUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

1. In today’s business environment, having a business insurance is very important. It is also a very complicated process especially if you are new in the business or just starting a new business. This article gave me a new perspective on how should I look into obtaining business insurance.

Posted by Olcan | September 12, 2013, 2:57 pm
  2. I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.
    I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a
    famous blogger if you aren’t already 😉 Cheers!

Posted by aimee car insurance | July 19, 2013, 2:36 am
  3. I pay a quick visit everyday a few web pages and sites to read content, but this weblog
    gives feature based posts.

Posted by Emma | July 17, 2013, 3:14 pm
  4. Howdy would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re using? I’m looking to start my own blog soon but I’m having a hard time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.

P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

Posted by 24 hour appliance repair | July 16, 2013, 8:18 am
    • I used the formats that WordPress allows. A good friend who is adept at handling the set up, did that part of it for me. Actually I went with WordPress from the beginning, so I do not have an opinion about the other 3 you listed.
      I would appreciate knowing in what way you found my article of use. I work with small to medium sized business owners and try to make my writing relevant and easy to follow. bb

Posted by Barbara I. Berschler | July 16, 2013, 3:42 pm
  5. It’s actually a nice and useful piece of information. I’m happy that
    you just shared this useful information with us.

Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you
    for sharing.

Posted by sympathy gift baskets for women | July 16, 2013, 1:11 am
    • Thank you for your comment. I am finding that this particular blog has generated a fair amount of comment. Do you think it is because the subject deals with insurance? As a general rule, all businesses should look into the kinds of insurance that make sense to protect their activities. Good luck with your gift basket business. bb

Posted by Barbara I. Berschler | July 16, 2013, 3:45 pm
  6. Your mode of explaining all in this post is really fastidious, all can easily be aware of it, Thanks
    a lot.

Posted by freexboxliveonline.tumblr.com | July 12, 2013, 1:13 am
  7. Doh! I was domain name searching at namecheap.
    com and went to type in the domain name: http:
    //allrightsreservedblog.com/2011/11/28/insurance-and-protecting-your-intellectual-property/ and guess who already
    had it? You did! lol j/k. I was about to purchase this domain name but noticed it was taken so I thought I’d come check it out. Good blog!

Posted by Fatima | June 1, 2013, 12:26 pm
  8. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article.
    I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information.
    Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.

Posted by meridia | May 26, 2013, 9:35 am
  9. I have been surfing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if
    all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will
    be much more useful than ever before.

Posted by eden biodome | May 22, 2013, 6:11 am
  10. I think what you wrote made a ton of sense. But, what about
    this? suppose you were to create a killer title? I mean,
    I don’t want to tell you how to run your website, however suppose you added something to maybe get people’s attention?

I mean INSURANCE AND PROTECTING YOUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY |